Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Off-Topic / Re: GMS 2.0 goes subscription.
« Last post by Darkstar2 on June 24, 2017, 05:32:50 PM »
As far as their pricing scheme, I don't know how they came up with $799.99 per console platform, and that's ONLY for that license, If you want Desktop,web, core you need to buy every separate license.  At least if it did 3D and decent 3D stuff, but no, it's still mainly focused and optimized for 2D stuff.  Maybe there is still a market for 2D / retro stuff, but I don't think people will be making loads of cash selling this on console platforms unless they have something really super exceptional.

« Last post by hpg678 on June 24, 2017, 03:08:13 AM »
I too was surprised when I looked at the price. i believe it is absolutely ridiculous. And there's not even a 32-bit version of GM2.

Siding with Darkstar2 comment on the competitiveness of the market, the overhead of the indie developer would have to be vast, meaning that they would need to have a tidy sum to produce a product to earn back that money spent.

It's for that reason a lot of people are switching to open-source software. Even some business men I know are considering to switch to Linux. In our discussions they express their frustrations and concerns on Windows and MacOS systems and networks. As a main Linux user (perhaps the only one in the island...:)...), I still use Windows occasionally, even fixed a few macs before; when customers ask me, i always recommend switching to Linux. however because of its vast influence Windows has, many don't even consider trying Linux.

As a developer, I've always used Gamemaker from version 4 to Gamemaker Studio. Now being introduced to Enigma, I can develop in a stable environment on my favorite platform.

« Last post by time-killer-games on June 23, 2017, 05:05:41 PM »
Jesus wept!!
Except this time he wept for a Lazarus that won't raise from the dead. Even worse!
« Last post by Darkstar2 on June 23, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »
The XBOX and Playstation individually are subscription too.  So if you plan on using BOTH, with Ultimate, your yearly cost would be less, by $100 :D  With all the next generation games that are out there, I wonder who the bloody hell purchases GMS games for next generation consoles.  :D

To be honest, I don't know how people are making that much money with their GMS created games.  It is a very tough market and a very competitive one.  With all the 3D and next generation stuff out there now.

I hope those who are spending $1.5k a year are getting their money's worth.
There are other costs involved too than the $1.5k a year, developer licenses for both these platforms, advertising, marketing, etc.....
Off-Topic / GMS 2.0 goes subscription.
« Last post by SaulGoodman on June 22, 2017, 08:23:45 PM »
$1500 per year for Ultimate Edition.  :o

Jesus wept!!
Issues Help Desk / EDC Issues
« Last post by hpg678 on June 07, 2017, 04:15:59 AM »
i want to upload files to the EDC but i get this error

"Sorry! The EDC is still down while we move to cloud storage. This is a painful process requiring work with third-party APIs."

Yet I am able to look and download the others pre-loaded.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi bro!
In my experience, dual-booting on a PC between Windows and Linux can lead to various types of problems. Lack of Hard drive space for one and Windows having a nasty habit of re-configuring your system without your permission, can mess up your boot loader.

I once had the unpleasantness of Windows updating and failed to start. grub failed to boot and I was stuck at a command prompt. in the end I had to Use a Live cd, back up the data i wanted and re-formatted the hard Drive.

My suggestions involve a bit of work and you may need to spend some money but in the end, they are worth the time and trouble.

I'm going to assume that your PC is Desktop. if that is the case, acquire a second hard-drive and install it into the system. Then install Linux onto that 2nd hard drive. On installation Grub should recognize the second hard drive and set it up as when you were dual-booting before. If that doesn't happen, at boot time press the Function key that allows you to manually choose a boot device, and choose the hard drive you installed Linux on, to boot from.

The 2nd method require you using an external hard drive. You can buy the completed one, or buy a separate kit and hard drive.  to be honest, it would be more advantageous to buy the external hard drive kit as you would be able to replace the hard drive, in case of failure as well use replace numerous hard drives with various data. This way you can travel with a Linux ready Operating System everywhere.

As far as Linux distros go, although Ubuntu and Linux Mint are the more popular, there have been a lot of problems with these two concerning ENIGMA. It not ENIGMA fault. trying to installing it always ends up with some error which affect ENIGMA. After various testings with a number of distros, I found two that ENIGMA installed flawlessly. These two are Trisquel and MX Linux.

Information on Trisquel can be found at http://www. trisquel.info.
Information on MX Linux can be found at https://mxlinux.org

Hope this have helped you out even a little. Keep up the good work.

I want to replace Ubuntu with Linux Mint. Sadly, I have no experience with installing Linux distros the "normal" way. I've relied on using Wubi, (Windows Ubuntu Installer), which is a Windows EXE installer, which does all the work for you, in installing Ubuntu on your Windows machine via dual boot, meaning your Windows installation isn't being replaced or removed, so you don't have to worry about losing any files or data, in the process.

I've looked up how to install a dual boot of Linux Mint, and it isn't exactly as easy. There's also the issue where if you don't follow the steps, exactly how they are described in the tutorials, or don't do it in the right order, you could end up destroying your Windows installation, and all of its associated files.

What is the easiest, (and safest, most risk-free) method, to install a Linux Mint dual boot, for my Windows 7 PC? I really need this to do Linux ports on my own for my ENIGMA games. Again, I am not wanting to remove or replace Windows 7. I just want to remove and replace Ubuntu.

Thanks!
Samuel
Issues Help Desk / Re: Debian Package Creation
« Last post by hpg678 on May 24, 2017, 11:14:26 AM »
I remember reading somewher in an article that '/usr/bin' is used for custom installations so maybe you should use that. I came across it while researching on Debian creation for you. Will check on it again and get back to you.

Programming Help / Re: How do I get user input
« Last post by hpg678 on May 24, 2017, 11:10:51 AM »
thanks TKG .... I'm going to use it and create a dialog box for the user to input their name and record their score which will be displayed on a custom highscore table.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10