Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General ENIGMA / Re: Testing ENIGMA on Different Linux Distros
« Last post by faissaloo on Today at 04:49:30 AM »
So i did install a 32-bit version of Maui and it still did not work. Tried Antergos 32bit(Arch LINUX), still did not work. Did a  a fresh install of MX LINUX and it worked,  no errors whatsoever.

Now this may not be of interest to most of you as the majority use WINDOWS as your main OS. At least that's the impression I get. However, at some point you may need to test or create on the LINUX platform and you would need to use a distro that works as far as ENIGMA is concerned.

The types of errors I received ranged from running the installation script, compilation errors, missing dependencies  to java errors, obsolete repositories and requests to install alternate versions of dependencies. All of which was dependent on what I was trying to install.

Yet for some reason i got no errors when  I use MX LINUX. I find this curious and interesting. Just what is about this particular distro that the others lack? it is indeed a mystery.
The install script is not designed for any distros other than Debian based ones, MX LINUX is Debian based
Third Party / Re: DnD to GML utility
« Last post by hpg678 on Today at 04:39:02 AM »
Forgive me but when it comes to YOYOgames, I tend to fly off the handle sometimes.  In regards to this aspect of the discussion let me say this.

like most people I had been with Gamemaker when Mike Overmars was in charge. I even stayed with it for a brief period during version 8, HTML, version 1.2 and stopped at version 1.4. With the introduction of LINUX export and got excited but wait a minute .......I would need a LINUX machine to export to. To me that doesn't make sense. I may as well program on the LINUX machine was my chain of thought. In order to port to the other platforms, I would need to buy that machine, then pay separately for that export for that machine. All within a time frame of 1 year to make money to break even or make a profit.

With software like Virtualbox you can have a simulated account of what it would like but that is not the same thing as working in the actual environment.
« Last post by hpg678 on Today at 03:04:24 AM »
So i did install a 32-bit version of Maui and it still did not work. Tried Antergos 32bit(Arch LINUX), still did not work. Did a  a fresh install of MX LINUX and it worked,  no errors whatsoever.

Now this may not be of interest to most of you as the majority use WINDOWS as your main OS. At least that's the impression I get. However, at some point you may need to test or create on the LINUX platform and you would need to use a distro that works as far as ENIGMA is concerned.

The types of errors I received ranged from running the installation script, compilation errors, missing dependencies  to java errors, obsolete repositories and requests to install alternate versions of dependencies. All of which was dependent on what I was trying to install.

Yet for some reason i got no errors when  I use MX LINUX. I find this curious and interesting. Just what is about this particular distro that the others lack? it is indeed a mystery.
« Last post by time-killer-games on September 24, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »
@hpg678

Sorry for the confusion, I meant they don't have a Linux IDE and don't plan on having one. They do have a Linux export, but you still need a Windows or Mac to use GMStudio at all because you need the IDE to export.
« Last post by Goombert on September 24, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »
Yes, absolutely, just to clarify I meant doing it for one single action is useless. It's more useful with bulk actions. But I also concur with the rest of you, D&D really didn't teach me anything. I went almost straight to learning how to code back in GM6/7 days. One thing I've stated before that many people seem to agree with is the lack of keyboard accessibility for D&D. I would find D&D more useful if I could start typing the actions name instead of having to dig for it from a panel. It may sound like it defeats the purpose of D&D, but it really doesn't, it's complementary. The advantage of having a checkbox or other GUI element to set a variable is it decreases the chances of you making typos like "faalse" or "tre" when you mean false/true.
« Last post by Darkstar2 on September 24, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »
The program is indeed outdated but still quite useful.....like I said....... just thought it would be useful for newbies to ENIGMA to learn EDL as itt converts Drag and Drop actions into the relevant EDL/GML code.

I prefer to code in EDL but at times when I'm stuck on something, I use Drag n drop, then use that converted code. Unfortunately, for some reason, i can't get GMS2 to work on either my laptop nor one of my desktops. Both of which has 64bit cpus in them. I don't really care that much any way, since they dropped LINUX support.

I prefer GML/EDL as well, from the start.  I could never get into D&D, even from the GM legacy years.  Did it for a short time then found it was more work :)

As far as GMS2, if not mistaken you need at least a DX10 compatible GPU.  And they do support linux, there is an Ubuntu export module included.
« Last post by hpg678 on September 24, 2017, 08:34:46 AM »
Ok so here's an update to the testing on Maui. I loaded an example Pacman game file and there's some errors pertaining to converting and writing string statements. Whether this is a compilation error or a runtime error, I don't know. However it doesn't seem to work as well as I would hope. It may even be a slight problem. I'll look into it at some point.

So I'm going to try an 'ARCH' distribution named ANTERGOS. In the meanwhile I'll also download a 32bit version of MAUI and try that as well.
General ENIGMA / Testing ENIGMA on Different Linux Distros
« Last post by hpg678 on September 24, 2017, 06:29:05 AM »
Some days ago during hurricane Maria's passing, my Windows computer died through a blackout caused by our Electric Utility Company.  they made up an excuse saying it was a lightning strike but I assure you it was not, since there was none during that day and as I live not to far from the facility.
Therefore I had to build another WINDOWS computer. Luckily I had one laying around so I put in some spare parts and now its up and running. I installed Windows 7 OS, Game Maker 6, 8 as well as Game Maker Studio 1.4 portable as well as a few other applications.........NeoPaint as my graphics editor, LibreOffice 5 as my productivity suite and ENIGMA portable.

A few days after my Linux Desktop computer began acting weird, lagging, certain project files not working properly on linux but working fine in Windows. So I decided it would be a good opportunity to test some other LINUX distros and see if ENIGMA would work on them.

The first on my list was LINUX Mint one the most popular. No luck there. I even tried an older version but the repositories did not exist anymore. the next on my list was OpenSuse which, failed miserably. There were no rpm packages for certain dependencies, so that also was a bust.

Next up was a much newer distro called FEREN Linux. It's a relatively new distro coming out with its latest version sometime in August this year. I downloaded the 64bit version and got no problems installing it. However when I ran ENIGMA, a familiar error message about not finding 'compileEGMf' popped up. Incidently, when I test ENIGMA on a 64bit OS, I get this error. However on a 32Bit OS, that error doesn't appear.

The one which I ended up is called MAUI LINUX. It is based on KDE NEON and UBUNTU with the PLASMA Desktop. In fact i am writing this on the same Maui Linux and so far it is impressive. I have yet to get any major errors on the 64bit version I am using. So for the next few days I will be testing this.

If you're interesting in checking it out, you can got to its homepage and have a look.
Programming Help / Re: Help! Make a Game Maker project compatible with Enigma.
« Last post by Hoohee on September 22, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
Oh, then I apologize.  Issue remains, then.
Programming Help / Re: Help! Make a Game Maker project compatible with Enigma.
« Last post by faissaloo on September 22, 2017, 09:23:57 AM »
So that implies that you've seen such things before.  I'd rather not destroy and replace the object, since that opens up a bunch of other cans of worms, and the current object has too much complex code and things pointing to it not to cause errors from its destruction.  To do this would necessitate rewriting most of the code from scratch, and probably figuring out new ways to do things I had down fine.  None of that pausing happens in Game Maker, so a bug is a bug and a bug deserves research and repair.  Still, any insight into what causes this, and is there a way to fix it that doesn't involve destroying and replacing the player object?
No, you misunderstood me, I'm saying that behavior usually happened when I did that, I wasn't suggesting destroying and creating the object as a solution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10