Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local School District Drops GameMaker  (Read 1218 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: September 22, 2015, 03:18:50 AM

Contributor

View Profile
A small school in North Carolina has decided to stop using GameMaker: Studio because of its proprietary DRM. The school claims on a number of occasions the program corrupted games developed by students. The school is SkilStak located in Cornelius, North Carolina and is a private school for teaching students 8 to 18 years old computer programming through game design.
http://skilstak.io/

From a GitHub repository hosted by one of the school's staff members, we find the following quotes:
Quote from: SkilStak School Staff
I strongly encourage anyone considering GameMaker to look at Phaser.io instead. You learn real technologies that will carry you farther than the proprietary and drag-and-drop GameMaker, (which is now owned by an online video gambling/gaming company). We have dropped GameMaker from all classes at SkilStak after it corrupted a student's game irrecoverably. He was the 6th in 3 years to lose everything because of GameMaker bugs. He would have had to reassemble everything from assets and saved code, which is stored in XML and prone to horrible merge conflicts when combined with GitHub for beginners. Just say no to GameMaker.
https://github.com/robmuh/gamemaker-tutorials

We can also find on their related Twitter account:
Quote from: SkilStak Twitter
GameMaker @yoyogames crashed and corrupted student games for the LAST TIME! Game-1 now based on phaser.io thanks to @photonstorm #html5
https://twitter.com/skilstak/status/610156089443778560

Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #1 Posted on: September 22, 2015, 06:21:15 AM

Developer

View Profile
Sadly we currently cannot recommend ENIGMA either. LGM has corrupted my EGM at several occasions as well. Thankfully I save every 10 seconds and I have my projects in cloud, so they get version controlled all the time.
Offline (Unknown gender) alucard
Reply #2 Posted on: October 15, 2015, 09:53:30 AM

View Profile
Actually, it`s a delibrate feature for GMS to corrupt games, if something fishy comes with license. Rumors are that only Master Collection edition is exempt from this.
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #3 Posted on: October 17, 2015, 12:20:13 PM

View Profile Email
Actually, it`s a delibrate feature for GMS to corrupt games, if something fishy comes with license. Rumors are that only Master Collection edition is exempt from this.

You can't be serious are you ? :D  GMS and MC are the SAME product, SAME IDE, same everything, the only difference being the licence that "unlocks" everything.

Perhaps they should teach their students to save backups.  Hopefully all this will be taken care of in GMS2 when they get rid of the shitty IDE and get rid of whatever delphi is left, with IDEs being native to their platform (windows, linux, mac), but until then yeah, I don't think most people will experience corruption with GMS.

That school never used LGM, if they did, they would want to go back to GMS lol !

Pages: [1]
  Print