Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Java Easy Image Editor 0.0.1  (Read 7713 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: December 09, 2014, 07:54:58 PM

Contributor

View Profile

I decided to start doing some work on JEIE and bring it up to speed with our other projects. This project was started as simply a basic cross-platform image editing program for those familiar with GM's. This is the first release in over two years, so please bare with me here. JEIE can be used as your GM or LateralGM image editor, or on its own as a separate program. We will probably never redistribute it as part of any official distribution, it will always be a separate program.

You can download the latest jar from the Extra Packages page.
Download: http://enigma-dev.org/docs/Wiki/Install:Extra_Packages
Size: 162.72 KB

Change Log 0.0.1
Regressions that were introduced in and then fixed in this version are not listed here.

https://github.com/IsmAvatar/JEIE/pull/9
https://github.com/IsmAvatar/JEIE/pull/7
https://github.com/IsmAvatar/JEIE/pull/6

1) Outlined resource handling class for i18n, image, and keyboard configuration.
2) Replaced all copyright headers with the doxygen format because it allows us to describe each file, among other tings. All copyright names were simply copied over and I added the copyright header to my new class, please double check I updated the copyright headers correctly.
3) Added tooltips to all buttons on the main toolbar.
4) Added missing keyboard shortcuts to every menu item I could.
5) Added translations everywhere I could.
6) Improved the unsaved changes dialog to have Yes (opens a save dialog), No (closes without saving), Cancel (stops the program from closing)
7) Added the missing edit menu where cut, copy, and paste should go in the future.
8) Translated the tool panel as well.
9) Added missing round rectangle tool (with the same arc width and height as GM) and the paintbrush tool suggested in #13
10) Implemented frame preferences handler to remember the maximized state and bounds of the window, uses the key "org/jeie"
11) Added a dialog that now asks for the size when creating a new image.
12) Added a jar description and manifest for building the application jar.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:49:51 AM by Robert B Colton » Logged
Offline (Female) IsmAvatar
Reply #1 Posted on: December 09, 2014, 08:26:48 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
5) Added translations everywhere I could.
8) Translated the tool panel as well.
Are you multi-lingual? How are you translating these things? Or are you just localizing them so that they can be translated?
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #2 Posted on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:00 PM

Contributor

View Profile
The latter heh, I am not that multilingual, I had two years of Spanish in high school, but I am horrible, I am much better at German but still pretty horrible.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:50:53 AM by Robert B Colton » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) The 11th plague of Egypt
Reply #3 Posted on: December 12, 2014, 06:26:23 PM

View Profile
Then save that time :D
Offline (Unknown gender) sorlok_reaves
Reply #4 Posted on: December 13, 2014, 12:28:10 AM
Contributor

View Profile
Looks really cool! Depending on how big it is, it might be nice to have something like this as a "default" editor --I know that Linux sometimes fails to detect external editors properly, which means I have to manually edit then re-import images.
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #5 Posted on: December 13, 2014, 01:08:03 AM

Contributor

View Profile
I am not surprised, I have similar issues with sharing permissions of the temp files on Windows, which also doesn't surprise me. This system could use a little improvement and I'll give it some in the future.
Offline (Unknown gender) egofree
Reply #6 Posted on: December 13, 2014, 08:25:48 AM
Contributor

View Profile Email
How do you link this editor with LateralGM ? I tried to put the editor in the external editors, but i didn't succeed.
I can't see the grid. I don't know why. If i press the grid button, to switch it on or off, it doesn't change anything.
As the editor's jar is tiny, i think it would be cool to include it by default with LateralGM. Currently it doesn't have more features that MS paint, but in the future we could have specific features optimized for games graphics-
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 08:28:08 AM by egofree » Logged
Reply #7 Posted on: December 15, 2014, 05:07:58 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
My intention for the project has always been so that it could be the default editor for LGM. I just wanted it to mature first. Obviously it's up to Robert on if and when it gets packaged with LGM but he wants to make sure it matures first as well.

As far as the default image editor in Linux goes - when I hooked that stuff up originally there was a known bug in Linux that nobody seemed interested in fixing. Presumably it's still there. Maybe the new version of Java has improved things but I doubt it.
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #8 Posted on: January 16, 2015, 01:56:47 PM

View Profile WWW Email
Once it is a little more like all the basics of what gm's editor can do please aadd it to the portable every once in a while as the default sprite and background editor linked to LGM. That is if doing such isnt a pain in the ass. I know building the portable over and over cand get tedious with constant enigma and lgm updates everyone wants. Im glad your doing this bob, great work as usual. When you graduate please work in the computer science, programming and engineering fields. Youd be a boss.

Also thanks ISM as it appear you were its original author
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:59:45 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #9 Posted on: January 16, 2015, 02:23:51 PM

Contributor

View Profile
Let me explain exactly why I am skeptical about putting it into the Portable ZIP. Primarily I see this application as having the potential to be standalone by itself as a separate product, much like LGM is from ENIGMA. In fact this is a really good alternative for a Windows Paint like program on Linux which really does not exist, yes there's GIMP which I prefer but many people would like something closer to Paint or Paint.NET which I also use (the latter I use because of available plugins). Second, you may not want to update the image editor as frequently as the ENIGMA package and in fact may want it installed in a different location because again it is technically its own separate program. JEIE is in fact simple enough we could wrap it with an install creator for Windows.

Also, I am not really sure how you would link JEIE with LGM, I know the preferences exist but I never learned how to work them. Additionally someone somewhere on this forum once wrote a tutorial that displays my ignorance.
Offline (Male) Rusky
Reply #10 Posted on: January 16, 2015, 06:30:06 PM

Resident Troll
MSN Messenger - rpjohnst@gmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
Isn't the whole point of the portable zip to bundle separate applications (currently LateralGM+ENIGMA) so users don't have to get them separately on their own?
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #11 Posted on: January 16, 2015, 07:32:59 PM

Contributor

View Profile
Yes sort of, but then why don't we have one for Linux? The answer is simple, we package a specific MinGW because it's always breaking with every update and installed MinGW's are never compliant. Code::Blocks does the same thing and so does Qt.

I would have no problem with it if we could automate the Portable ZIP to be generated by the server so that I did not have to do it by hand. Then the user could configure a Portable ZIP to include certain things, and even certain plugins. Fundies had this all set up but nobody has done anything to move it to the main ENIGMA server to package it for me, so for now I keep doing it by hand as well to set the icon and copyright info.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:34:50 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
Reply #12 Posted on: March 22, 2015, 03:04:05 PM

LateralGM Developer
LGM Developer

View Profile Email
Hey, just wanted to poke you guys about this. Google Code is shutting down, which is where JEIE was originally hosted. I'm sure it's since been forked to github/etc, but please just double check that you have everything that you need off of there before it goes belly up and you realize afterwards that you left your purse there.
https://code.google.com/p/jeie/
Again, the above link will soon be *no more*, so loot it for what it's worth.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #13 Posted on: March 29, 2015, 09:04:42 AM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
There are migration steps, Ism; if you want to be totally safe, you can manually move the Google Code repo somewhere new on GitHub.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Pages: [1]
  Print