Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: GMS 2.0  (Read 2373 times)
Offline (Unknown gender) Lycanphoenix
Reply #45 Posted on: February 15, 2017, 10:53:36 PM

View Profile Email
I have a copy of the GM:S 2.0 free trial right now, maybe I can help you verify, Darkstar?

I'm currently trying to create automated scripts for GM:S 1.4 to enable backwards compatibility with GameMaker 8.0/8.1 projects, but the folks at YoYo don't tell me which functions got replaced with which other functions, or how the new functions work, only which ones got removed period.

If somebody could lend me a hand, I'd be grateful. I plan to redistribute the backwards compatibility kit when it's eventually finished.

I will manage to beat YoYo at their own game, one way or another. It all boils down to a function of time and manpower.
Offline (Male) time-killer-games
Reply #46 Posted on: February 16, 2017, 12:17:11 AM

View Profile WWW Email
You don't need all that information to make 8.1 projects compatible. All you need to do is import a GMK/GM81 file into either LGM or GameMaker Studio 1.4.x and save it as a GMX probject folder that can be imported into GameMaker Studio 2. In this sense, it's already possible and easy to do. For all functions that were removed, GameMaker Studio 2 creates compatibility scripts for.
Offline (Unknown gender) Lycanphoenix
Reply #47 Posted on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:28 AM

View Profile Email
I already know how to import stuff into GM:S 1.4, but it doesn't actually make it compatible. For instance, many features built-in to older versions are still relied on. On the YoYo Games forums, it was mentioned that GM:S 2.0 doesn't even support backgrounds! And of course, the only versions of GM:S 2.0 you can get are timed Free Trial of the Beta, missing tons and tons of critical features (including the ability to import things, and whatnot) and the expensive, full version of the Beta. Not good for somebody with an unstable income...

If I'm able to back-port the compatibility scripts into 1.4, then maybe, but to my knowledge all they are actually built for are making GM:S 1.4 projects compatible with GM:S 2.0, not making GM 8.1 projects compatible with GM:S 1.4.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 01:45:46 AM by Lycanphoenix » Logged
Reply #48 Posted on: February 16, 2017, 02:13:27 AM

View Profile WWW Email
Yes, no backgrounds. When you import your 1.4 project into 2.0, it converts all backgrounds into sprites, effectively changing nothing to how the game is supposed to look.
Offline (Unknown gender) SaulGoodman
Reply #49 Posted on: March 29, 2017, 09:37:54 PM

View Profile
Yes, no backgrounds. When you import your 1.4 project into 2.0, it converts all backgrounds into sprites, effectively changing nothing to how the game is supposed to look.

Except for 3D based games. They totally fucked the matrices behind the scenes. Anything imported now is inverted , reversed, and z depths are totally mangled.

There is a huge list of things that don't work properly now that GMS2 has made it to 'official release'.

My favorite response I saw for one of the major issues was 'we will fix it if there is a demand for it' (Russel Kay).

That's a company that is now based on greed....

(Of course there is a fucking demand for it you idiot!!)
Offline (Unknown gender) Darkstar2
Reply #50 Posted on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:25 PM

View Profile Email
That's what he said, typical ! expect no less from the blokes.  It is their jobs to fuck it all up, now all we need is from some other bloke to tell people to re-write their games from scratch :D  Kinda makes you wonder what the bloody hell they were doing all these fucking years - I thought that Playtec acquiring them and providing them funding would accelerate development and quality, I don't see any of that.  The biggest change is the bloody IDE - the rest is pretty much the same shite.  Nothing drastic really.  and no decent 3D support either, but as long as people are happy and making their games and generating shit loads of money to YYG, all is good. :D  Were they playing with their n0bs and eating bacon strips all this time ? Did they even listen to feedback and suggestions at all ????
Reply #51 Posted on: March 31, 2017, 11:54:00 PM

View Profile Email
it was mentioned that GM:S 2.0 doesn't even support backgrounds! And of course, the only versions of GM:S 2.0 you can get are timed Free Trial of the Beta, missing tons and tons of critical features (including the ability to import things, and whatnot) and the expensive, full version of the Beta. Not good for somebody with an unstable income...

You mean importing from 1.4.  But from what I see in the docs, there IS backgrounds functionality in 2.0.   BTW, the upgrade paths are quite unfair.  What if I have GMS 1.4 Pro HTML5 and the Android module, how would I go about upgrading to GMS 2.0 with HTML5 and Android ? and how much would it cost me to upgrade ?
Reply #52 Posted on: April 03, 2017, 09:53:33 PM

View Profile WWW Email

Except for 3D based games. They totally fucked the matrices behind the scenes. Anything imported now is inverted , reversed, and z depths are totally mangled.

There is a huge list of things that don't work properly now that GMS2 has made it to 'official release'.

My favorite response I saw for one of the major issues was 'we will fix it if there is a demand for it' (Russel Kay).

That's a company that is now based on greed....

(Of course there is a fucking demand for it you idiot!!)

I noticed that problem with the 3D, and I've seen Russell, Mike, and various other staff have that "if it's in demand, we'll fix it" attitude more than once. Many times, actually. But I wouldn't call it greed. I can't remember where I heard this, so don't quote me - but YYG are financially gasping for breath and PlayTech isn't doing much to help. If what I heard is true, that would certainly explain why they are doing so horribly with fixing bugs - they are a sinking ship, it appears. They are trying to prioritise whatever will most likely help keep them afloat.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:59:01 PM by time-killer-games » Logged
Reply #53 Posted on: April 04, 2017, 11:54:25 AM

View Profile Email
What about Playtec's statement they made ? All those big promises and words, ? What about the funding ? Why did they acquire YYG then ?   Of course nobody has heard from them since.  Are they a sinking ship ? They don't have to be, there is no other product like it in terms of ease of use, just that after this very long wait I'm sure the expectations were really high - of course once more they didn't deliver.........Just like DukeNukem Forever took a decade more to be released and was a big fat disappointment on all levels.

Now my question is this - would Mark Overmars have done better ?  I don't think so.

But YYG is a company where PROFIT is first, "demand" and "common sense" last.

Of course profit is important, but they need to remember what made them grow in the first place......and I'm not talking about the bacon :P 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print