Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The World of Box2D Physics  (Read 2575 times)
Offline (Male) Goombert
Posted on: February 24, 2013, 10:44:41 AM

Contributor

View Profile
]

We have a Box physics engine in the works you guys, I'll finish it up when I have more time  (Y)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:55:04 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) eejin
Reply #1 Posted on: February 24, 2013, 01:07:51 PM

View Profile
Nice. How does it perform compared to game maker?
(and hurry up on wxwidgets would ya :P)
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #2 Posted on: February 24, 2013, 02:41:35 PM

Developer

View Profile
Looks nice. Does box2d allow things like soft-bodies?
And when added to ENIGMA I won't have to compile the source from their site right? I guess this will be as an extension.
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #3 Posted on: February 24, 2013, 05:00:37 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
Ultimately, Windows users will download a patch that copies the box2d binaries into Additional/. Linux users will install it through their respective distributions' package manager.

I don't think Robert built such a patch for Windows.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #4 Posted on: February 24, 2013, 05:45:22 PM

Contributor

View Profile
@eejin It will be much more dynamic and provide much better functionality than GM does, eg. static bodies, dynamically changing shapes, multiple bodies per fixture, edge shapes, mouse joints, etc. As far as performance I can guarantee it will be much faster than GM because it is actually compiled and will use Box2D's overlapping test system for integrating collision checking instead of patching it together with bounding box or precise collision checking systems. As josh said we are not going to be duct taping this to ENIGMA like they did with Studio.

@ExDeus that depends on your interpretation of softbody but yes Box2D does allow a sort of emulation of softbodies using Joints and triangle strips...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZFmbTPVBk

@Josh of course I didn't make a Windows patch A) you didn't tell me to or explain how to either B) im not on windows
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 05:49:23 PM by Robert B Colton » Logged
Offline (Unknown gender) TheExDeus
Reply #5 Posted on: February 24, 2013, 06:12:32 PM

Developer

View Profile
The softbody question was pretty stupid. I actually already knew that its possible, because I have even done it in much more basic physics engines. Dunno why I asked. :D

Anyway, looking forward to try this on windows. Is there a way to not pack binaries, but the source? So it can be compiled INTO the game and not just packing some dll like with OpenAL?
Offline (Male) Josh @ Dreamland
Reply #6 Posted on: February 24, 2013, 06:20:37 PM

Prince of all Goldfish
Developer

View Profile Email
I'm reasonably certain the author maintains a static library for it. ENIGMA could just link against that.
In the event that this library doesn't exist, or isn't compatible with MinGW32, then I wouldn't recommend including the whole source.
"That is the single most cryptic piece of code I have ever seen." -Master PobbleWobble
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Evelyn Beatrice Hall, Friends of Voltaire
Offline (Male) Goombert
Reply #7 Posted on: February 25, 2013, 04:12:16 AM

Contributor

View Profile
I am pretty sure Box2D does maintain a static lib because that is how GM:S redistributes it.
Pages: [1]
  Print